Leek and Bacon Tart
adapted from Moosewood Restaurant's New Classics, best cookbook ever
dough for one pie crust
8 cups sliced leeks
1/2 cup chopped, cooked bacon
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup flour
1 tbs dijon mustard
dash of nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups of milk or cream
1 cup grated parmesan or cheddar cheese
1) Roll out dough into a 13-inch circle and place in a 10-inch pie plate or round casserole dish. Chill in the refrigerator.
2) Saute leeks with salt until caramelized and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
3) Set pan aside and mix in bacon.
4) Puree the rest of the ingredients except the cheese in a blender.
5) Spread the leek mixture evenly in the pie shell, cover with the cheese, and pour over the egg/milk mixture.
6) Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes until golden brown.
*For the squash cupcakes, see here (any winter squash will do). Also, I opted for orange flavored frosting instead of sage.*
Cream Cheese Frosting
from The Joy of Cooking
3 cups confectioners sugar
8oz cream cheese
6 tbs butter
1 tbs orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
1) Pulse all ingredients in a food processor just until mixed. Make sure not to over blend or frosting will get gluey.
2) Scoop all frosting into a pastry bag with desired tip and frost each cupcake.
3) Chill cupcakes in the refrigerator until ready to eat.