Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It's Geometric : South Beach - Miami

Lately, all my travels have turned into little art adventures. I was in Miami this past weekend and was glad to soak up the sun and the Art Deco style on the South Beach seashore. There is just something quintessentially beachy about stucco facades, pastel paint and vintage lettering. While reading up on the topic, I was reminded in fact that Art Deco was the predecessor to Art Nouveau. No wonder I am finding this so appealing. I chose not to bring my DSLR with me (too clunky for a party time weekend) and instead embarked on a little iphone camera project. As the gateway to the Caribbean, Miami is quite the melting pot of cultures and people so I figured little vignettes of the city would show off its flair just as well. I was at first disappointed about the rain on Sunday when was taking these, but the vacant sky really helps the subjects pop and allowed to take some creative license with the colors. All in all, I was pleased to get a pretty good feel for the place in a quick weekend jaunt. The retro atmosphere is infectious - I was so carried away I even got myself to the local diner for a whipped cream, cherry topped chocolate shake!

Images via: Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...